Friday, February 27, 2009

StErEoTyPes


02/16/2009-

HBO (on Demand)
Television
11:30 p.m.
Film
Poker Scene
Racial stereotypes



02/17/2009

Nip Tuck
FX
9-10 p.m.
Wedding shower scene- Liz with family and friends
Gender Stereotypes

Uncle Killa
HBO (On demand)
11 p.m.
Entire film
Racial stereotypes and innuendos



02/18/2009

Ratcliffe’s textbooks
4:55 p.m.
Personal conversation with fellow employees
Comments on book titles referring to minorities
Racial stereotypes and assumptions

www.youtube.com
12:36 p.m.
Music Video
Juvenile- Back That A** Up
Gender and Racial Stereotype

CW
9- 10 p.m.
Television
America’s Next Top Model
Profiling of how women should look
Gender profiling


02/19/2009

Personal Conversation
3:12 p.m.
Telephone conversation with Zac XXXXXX
Comments about driving ability
Racial Stereotypes, Assumptions, and Innuendos


Crimson Park Apartments C302
7:49 p.m.
Personal Conversation with Julie XXXXXXX and Andi XXXX
Comments about males not asking directions
Gender stereotypes

Spike TV
10:35 p.m.
Television
Manswers
Constantly showing women in bikini’s showing them only from the neck down and zooming in close to their chest.
Gender Stereotype



02/20/2009

HBO (on demand)
11:20 a.m.
Film
The Kingdom
After a terrorist attack on an American living complex in Saudi Arabia, all members of the gated community begin to judge all Muslims and Saudi’s.
Racial Profiling, Stereotyping and Racial Innuendos


After completing this assignment, it made me realize the amount of stereotyping that was out there. Before this assignment I never really noticed the stereotyping as much but it was obvious to me after this assignment that it is has a big part in our media world. I guess I can say that I wasn’t surprised at the amount that is used. I believe that people I n the media world use stereotyping to make money. I think that in the world we live in that when it comes to money that’s all that matters in the end. It doesn’t matter whether genders or races are belittled, if a dollar can be made then it will be done.
I experienced this profiling first hand. From racial to gender I in some way experienced this issue that we face. I had some of my best friends taking part in creating and referring to these stereotypes. I even caught myself in the act. I guess I never really thought about stereotyping before this class. I mean I guess i thought that I took part in it. But I did and still do. I think that I am probably the worst when I am behind the wheel. When ever I get cut off or am traveling at to slow of a pace, I automatically think that it must be a foreigner. But today after this class I have began to catch myself when I begin to think of these things. I am not sure if I will ever be able to ditch the stereotyping but I will be trying. I think that these stereotypes that we refer to comes from the media and our elders.
I think the reason that we as adults take part in the carrying out of these stereotypes is the influence from the media. Growing up we hear and see things on television, Internet and radio. Relying on these sources for many things we take a lot that they say to heart and put it to use for our daily lives. If we see an episode of “Nip Tuck” where they show in almost every episode one of the doctors having sexual relations with a beautiful women and then never talking or seeing her again in the episode or the entire season for that matter, it is just stereotyping women in a terrible way.
I also believe that the adults we grow up with have influence in carrying out these stereotypes. I have friends whose parents grew up in small towns throughout Texas, and they have a great different outlook on race and gender but especially race than my parents who are from St. Louis and Pittsburgh. I feel that when one is brought up around these attitudes that it is easy to fall unto the feelings.
At the weeks end, my eyes were open to how the continuous development and use of images to stereotype both race and gender affect society. I don’t believe that this is necessarily correct but understand that this is a part of life and society that will be very difficult to change. I believe that if we did not stereotype that we would have a happier, less confrontational society because races and genders would cease to feel discriminated in a way. In my opinion, these actions will never cease because it would be to difficult to get everyone to buy in, and but maybe one day there will be hope.


Juvinile- Back That Thang Up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L1qsIwoTRI
Manswers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6BzxlXB8E0&feature=related

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Life experiences. Awareness. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Barrett in that before this discussion I never really paid close attention to my own stereotypical or sometimes even racist thoughts or actions. I consider myself my non-racists and non-stereotypical but I think that everyone has these thoughts even though they are unaware. I think the media is the largest to blame for keeping these feelings alive. I agree with Barrett that no matter the consequences as long as more money is made then it considered a success. However the consequences are that stereotypes and racism will never die, people can never erase these ideas even if they don't watch tv, read the newspaper or books, and use the internet because everyone else does and those people in turn will pass that on to each other. If anything I am happy to have taken this course because I think I will forever be more aware, or at least I would like to think so. I have noticed that since turning in the assignment I constantly find myself noticing stereotypes or racism everywhere. I ultimately and unfortunately agree with Barrett that stereotypes will never die due to the media continuously using them in order to constantly make money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too agree that unfortunately stereotypes seep into every aspect of our lives. NO ONE doesn't have them and EVERYONE says/acts out because of them at some point. I think that awareness is the first step at making changes. Honestly, I don't think that it will ever change in the media but every person can change their point of view. If everyone just changed their point of view, it would hopefully start a chain reaction of fabulous stereotype-free happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the more interesting aspects of your blog is how you mention that stereotyping in the media is profitable. I couldn’t agree with you more. The media wouldn’t do it if it didn’t work. It’s a business, and if they were losing money, it wouldn’t be around long. Money, money, money makes the world go ‘round, and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. These are two clichés that certainly apply to stereotypes in the media.

    I agree with Jessica that we all stereotype, even if we do it consciously or not. It’s something that I think a lot of people struggle with because it gets reinforced through TV, the internet and movies. Now, I’m not saying we all walk around making harsh judgments to people’s faces, but it’s done. It’s like when people say, “I don’t have a racist bone in my body.” Not only do I truly feel that is a lie, but I think it is being extremely naïve, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But the question is can we do something about our implicit stereotyping?

    ReplyDelete